Who loves ice cream? Who loves Turkey Hill ice cream? If you now have your favorite flavor in mind and you’re about to check the freezer for a cartoon, then put a visit to Turkey Hill Experience on your next road trip itinerary! While it’s not the production site of the company, there is still plenty of ice cream and sweet teas available for tasting and plenty see and do.
The Frey family of Turkey Hill began their ice cream business in 1931 and have grown into a company that produces over 72 flavors of ice cream, (some limited addition and seasonal flavors) and a dozen flavors of sweet tea. In just five minutes, the production plant can make 1,300 containers of ice cream! Opened in 2011, the museum and Taste Lab in Columbia offers lots of way to learn about the ice cream making process.
Traveling with Kids:
Consider buying a combination ticket which will offer a discount on multiple experiences. Check here for pricing.
Restrooms, a gift shop, and Taste Labs (for special classes and events) are located on the first floor.
The building is handicap and stroller accessible, although I’d leave the stroller in the car- too much to see and do and strollers aren’t allowed in the Taste Labs.
15 Things Every Kid Must Do at Turkey Hill Experience
1. Read about the history of the Frey family and agriculture in Susquehanna Valley
2. Watch brief videos in the “Ice Cream Theater” and “Chill Zone”
3. Differentiate the four types of tea: black, green, white, and oolong.
4. Guess the all time most popular flavor of Turkey Hill ice cream, and then check out the top 20 list.
5. Listen to anecdotes from Turkey Hill delivery men.
6. Learn how to milk a cow.
7. Play Bacteria Blaster video games.
8. Jump into the Homogenization ball pit (toddler crew only!)
9. Climb the stairs and go down the slides.
10. Examine the molecules that make up milk.
11. Monitor the “dairy cam” cameras projecting from the warehouse and production plant.
12. Feel how cold it gets inside the freezers that store the ice cream.
13. Create your own flavor using touch screens and then record a commercial to advertise your creation. You can access your info from home through the Turkey Hill website.
14. Sample 8 different flavors of ice cream and 8 different types of tea and decide on a favorite.
15. Take a Taste Lab class (45 minutes) where visitors are given a PINT of vanilla or chocolate ice cream and complete three steps (flavoring, inclusions, and variegates) to make their own creation.
If you want to check out other popular ice cream spots, check out our post here- it was our second blog post! And if you want to follow along on our adventures, follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Disclaimer: My family was given a media pass to explore Turkey Hill Experience. All opinions expressed are my own.